learned from that class was to put my family on a schedule. Duh!! Our teacher told us to wake up a half-hour earlier then our children and take time to read the scriptures, say morning prayers, maybe shower, get dressed and.....(dramatic pause)...get ready to parent! This SINGLE act has been huge for me! Not only do I feel better because I started my day off with a good spiritual boost but I seem to be on top of things more. I get more done in the first two hours of my day than I would normally get done in an entire day. The other thing that really changed me was her advice to be DONE with all chores (except dinner of course) by the time your children get home from school so that you are available to them for the rest of the evening. This has made such a sweet change in my relationship with Roper. I feel as though he feels more important to me. Another cool thing that has really helped me is the lesson on teaching your children to work. Our teacher showed us a chore chart that she had made for her 5 year old son and it went something like this 1) make your bed 2) give mom the biggest kiss you have ever given 3) have your big sister help you get dressed 4) brush your teeth 5) run up and down the stairs 3 times saying "I'm the king!, I'm the king!" 6) dust the living room furniture 7) Mom needs a bear hug! So....I tried this very thing with Roper. I have the chart waiting for him when he gets home from school and he can't wait to see what silly things I am going to have him do. One day I left off anything that had to do with giving me kisses or hugs and he said, "Mom, don't I need to give you a kiss and a hug?" It totally filled my cup!! Anyway, I could go on and on about this class. I just felt the need to share it because it has made me enjoy parenting and my unique role as a mother even more.Love to all,

Meckenzie
P.S. The pictures are of Roper pushing a penny across the floor...this was one of his chores and we were laughing so hard while he was doing it that I had to snap a picture to remember, and of Halloween...we had bugs and a storm trooper at our house!




5 comments:
what a cute idea!! i fully plan on makine that chore chart for my kids. But mine will read, go lock yourself in the trunk of the car, and then i will conveniently forget to get them out. jk
awe, that is so sweet! What great ideas, and what a great way to get your kids excited about doing chores. =) I'm impressed you can actually get up earlier. I'd think to myself "yeah that sounds great....in theory". =) very proud of you! I loved the idea to be done with chores by the time they get home from school. I think that alone would have a huge impact on a child. Thanks for sharing your great tips!
Great advice...whenever I get up before my kids (which is rare) I do feel so much better about my day and not so rushed. Thanks for the pick me up. I love you and your family and I am so glad you are blogging again. I have missed you! Love, Rach
thanks for that! you know what? right now I feel like a kid that just got her training wheels taken off! I feel like...can I do this without Carleen every week!?
but I agree the class was so awesome. the first class was life changing for me too.
we still need to play sometime! maybe after the new year ;)
This was good timing Kenz- I love these ideas and know that they would really help. My kids are still so young that our schedule looks a little different, but I think I could still apply a lot of these good suggestions into our home.
THanks for the boost- I really needed this today. It's been one of those days...
Post a Comment